A new 3D-printed drone called the ELF VR Nano is available for pre-order on Indiegogo and for download on Thingiverse.
So yes you read that correctly. You can either buy the pre-made VR drone or "print it" on your own if you have the necessary equipment.
ELF began as a design project last October and the quadcopter is now complete. You can pick up a kit now for $65 on Indiegogo or simply print out the parts yourself for free. If you build it yourself you'll also need to purchase the motors and electronics and the whole package simply snaps together without any screws or glue!
Budding VR drone pilots will be able to stream 720p video camera output to a VR device such as Google Cardboard.
Main Features of the ELF VRdrone
- Open source. Which is to say, ELF is a development platform for makers, not just a toy. Using the most common seen open source hardware Arduino programming environment, ELF can be reviewed into what you want by modifying the codes and hardware.
- 3D printed shell. 3D print hobbyists can download the software from Thingiverse and print their own drone. Choose printing filaments of whatever color to print their personalized drones. They can also design theirs.
- Compact, ultra-portable. Safer, easy to fly indoors.
- Smartphone app control. Support for iOS and Android (Bluetooth 4.0 and later version). Using Bluetooth low energy (BLE) on smartphones and wifi as powerful computing capability. ELF allows real-time photo & video share anywhere.
- 720P high definition wifi cam. 720P visual quality record and VGA-quality real-time transmission.
- Ultrasonic constant level flight. (doing)
The company plans to ship in July and they have smashed their $20,000 goal with almost $68,000.
Buy it or print it. It is completely up to you!
See Also: Oculus Rift FPV Virtual Reality UAV
ELF VR Drone: Buy Or Print It For Free" data-width="50" data-layout="button_count" data-action="like" data-show-faces="true" data-share="true">