Ever since I watched the movie Alien and the excellent sequel Aliens. Those critters scare the cr%$ out of me.
The Alien movie is aging remarkably well considering it was released back in 1979. Jumping ahead to 2014/15 and you can play the Alien movie in Virtual Reality in your home. Isn't progress amazing?
So what do you need to play Alien Isolation at home?
Decent PC, Oculus Rift, preferably a controller, few game tweaks and clean underwear.
Before you can run around a spaceship chased by an Alien. You first need to make a few changes to allow Oculus Rift support. Alien Isolation was demonstrated at E3 2014 with the Oculus Rift. However, the released version does not have official Oculus Rift support. The coding for it however remains in the game and can be easily enabled:
- Navigate to your install folder for Alien Isolation then browse to DATA
Default install location is:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Alien Isolation\Data
- Make a copy of the ENGINE_SETTINGS.XML and name it ENGINE_SETTINGS-OLD.XML
- Using your favorite text editor (Notepad is fine)
- Search for <Setting name="Stereo Mode"> (Only one entry)
Below that change:
<Setting name="Off" precedence=”4″/> to <Quality name=”Rift” precedence=”4″/>
- Set the Oculus to extended mode in the Rift Display Mode:
- Then in the configuration utility you need to pause the Oculus Rift service
- Start the game and prepare to have the cr@$ scared out of you.
- To revert back to regular 2D mode, just use your -OLD file from step 2
- To reset your orientation. With an XBox 360 controller, hold your head level and click the two bumper buttons simultaneously to recenter. There is no known keyboard combo to reset orientation.
Note: This is not an official Oculus Rift supported game so do not expect complete perfection. For me at least, after 30-60 minutes some nausea was setting in. Unless you're a pro, it is unlikely you'll make it past the hour.
How To Enable Oculus Rift Support In Alien Isolation - Spare Underwear Recommended" data-width="50" data-layout="button_count" data-action="like" data-show-faces="true" data-share="true">