I have played with a lot of demos, utilities and games. It, therefore, takes a lot to impress me.
However, The Virtual Desktop by Guy Godin impressed me!
It does just what the name suggests. It mirrors whatever is on your primary monitor onto the Oculus Rift DK2 in real time. So what does this mean? So far I have tried the following applications:
- Leave Virtual Desktop running all the time. Before you start your VR demo or game, you can click and see your desktop and no longer have to alternate between looking at your primary monitor and removing your DK2
NOTE: You can also configure Virtual Desktop, so this loads on Windows startup.
- When you exit your game or demo the Virtual Desktop is waiting for you. Not some funky looking windows background image
- Bring up Netflix in your browser and watch Netflix on your Oculus Rift DK2
- Bring up YouTube in your browser and watch YouTube on your Oculus Rift DK2, even cat videos!
- Watch Plex in the Oculus Rift DK2
- Play any game you want without new driver installs. I tried BF4, works well although I prefer higher res for aiming.
- I even found it easier and better to watch movies on the Virtual Desktop than my previous favorite the VR Player.
Only change the background to Home Theater, and you're sitting in a movie theater, with cup holders!
If you stop moving your mouse and keyboard, the lights will dim.
Quite simply. The Virtual Desktop is the coolest Oculus Rift app out there. I would not be surprised if Oculus buys this and bundles it with their consumer version.Download The Virtual Desktop For Oculus RiftSetup & Configuration
- You will need the latest Oculus 0.4.4 Runtime
- Currently, Windows 8 Metro apps do not work. Regular Windows desktop work just fine.
- Ensure your monitor is set up as the primary display, NOT your DK2
- To play Non-VR Games.
Turn off the full-screen option in Virtual Desktop and run your game in windowed or windowed full-screen mode
The checkbox in the bottom of the screenshot below.
Virtual Desktop For Oculus Rift DK2 - Essential App Download" data-width="50" data-layout="button_count" data-action="like" data-show-faces="true" data-share="true">