Today, Google released an update to Google Earth VR so now Oculus owners can fly around the earth like Superman/girl.
Download Google Earth VR for Oculus Touch.
HTC Vive owners already had controller support, and now Oculus touch has been added to help VR fans soar around the earth in VR.
In addition to Touch support. Google added the ability to search by typing in an address or location name. Google added 27 new hand-picked sites, such as Neuschwanstein Castle in Germany (the inspiration for Disneyland’s Sleeping Beauty Castle!), stand on the top of Table Mountain in South Africa, fly over Perito Moreno Glacier in Argentina, and much more.
Google Earth VR Release notes
- Search — integrated Google Earth’s search backend with new keyboard
- Oculus Rift and Touch controller support
- Advanced caching settings (ability to customize location and size) and
- Improvements to caching performance
- New introductory tour and 27 additional featured locations
- Ability to switch dominant controller via game settings or desktop window
- Fixed: Surround sound audio. Note: Stereo headphones recommended for best experience.
How to access advanced cache settings:
- Navigate to AppData directory (e.g. C:\Users<user_name>\AppData\Local\Google\VR\Earth)
- Locate “earth_vr_preferences.json” file
- Open in text editor and replace default values (bolded) for "diskCacheDirectoryPath": "C:/ProgramData/Google/VR/Earth/earthdata" and "diskCacheLimitInMb": 2048.