Half Life 2 was my favorite game back in 2004. I remember loving the game with its ground breaking graphics and game play. I also remember tweaking my ATI 9800 graphics drivers for hours to prevent it from crashing and/or stuttering. Ah yes, the good old days. Wait, we still do that with games today so some things never change.
If you'd like to relive your Half Life 2 days but in Virtual Reality. Then follow these directions. If you already have SteamVR installed, you can skip to section 2.
1. Install & Configure SteamVR
First, you need to install SteamVR and enable the Beta feature to enable VR games as follows (Detailed SteamVR Instructions with video)
- Ensure you're using the latest version of the Steam client (Go to Steam Menu > Check for Steam Client Updates)
- Opt into the Steam client beta:
Steam menu > Settings > Account
Beta participation click ‘CHANGE…’
In the pop up window, select ‘Steam Beta Update,’ then click OK and restart Steam.
- Click Library > Tools
Scroll to SteamVR, right-click and select ‘Properties’
Click the ‘Betas’ tab. From the dropdown list, select ‘beta – SteamVR Beta Update.’ Click ‘Close’ at the bottom right of the window.
- Right-click on SteamVR again and select ‘Install Game’. Click ‘Next’ twice to install.
- Ensure your Oculus Rift DK2 is on and set to Extended Mode.
In the Steam menu, select View > Virtual Reality Mode (BETA)
2. Install and configure Half-Life 2 for VR
- Install Half-Life 2
Download Half-Life 2 from Steam if not already
- Click Library, right-click Half-Life 2 and select ‘Properties’
- Select the ‘BETAS’ tab. From the drop-down menu, select ‘beta – Beta updates’
- Click close. Half-Life 2 to now be updated
- Ensure your Oculus Rift is set to Extended Mode
- Launch Half-Life 2
- In the Half-Life 2 menu select ‘Options’, then the ‘Video’ tab. Change Virtual Reality Mode option to ‘Enabled’
- Exit Half-Life 2 and relaunch Half-Life 2
- On the Half-Life 2 menu, select ‘Activate Virtual Reality’
Now the window should automatically display in your Oculus Rift